Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Running Towards Thirty


Thirty is Still Thirty


My thirtieth birthday is around the corner and I can not wait. Yes I do plan to party like its 1999 again but with this milestone upon me it was impossible for me to not take the time to reflect on the last couple of decades.  Age has never really been a major consideration for me when it comes to how I approach daily life or when I am meeting someone new for the first time but something about the sound of saying I am thirty years old makes me feel like I am really a grown ass woman.

Not that I don't feel like an adult because surely I have to pay bills, raise children, work that 9 to 5 and keep my sexiness tight all while pushing a piece of myself to the side.  Adulthood can truly suck at times especially when you feared growing up for so long. Surely we can all relate to the pains of going through  doing what we have to and not what we want to do. But for now leaving my twenties behind is much easier for me that I ever thought that it would be.

Realizing Mistakes  

At about year 26 I began to get a little nervous about getting older. I was still living the life of a ghetto Carrie Bradshaw and hitting every party I was invited to and even to some that I wasn't. Boys, working, partying, and shopping became like Ground Hog day for at least two years of my life that I hardly remember because at that time I was very 4/20 friendly. I basically shaved time off my life by living in a haze of being unappreciative and selfish. The outcome was that I was a lot further behind than where I imagined I would be.

 It took almost losing my mother and best friend nearly simultaneously to realize that I had more than just me to live for. I hardly noticed what  an incomparable support system of family and friends I had that never faltered and I was about to start a job in higher education with the coolest boss. On top of that I was being surrounded by my first love, music, everyday while getting the opportunity to meet some pretty unique and special people along the way.

 Perspective can change quickly when you face things that you never thought you would or earlier than you expected. Ill preparedness can be a witch but it forces us to take responsibility for the parts that we have control over. Reflection of our past is not always smiles and good memories and sometimes you just have to realize that I should have done better, could have done better, but understand that for most things there is no do over.


Running Towards Thirty

Yes, the annoying quips from some dingy college girls telling me I look good for my age can truly irk my nerves and for a split second I may question my vitality but I am still cool with embracing this next phase. This throwback can still show out when it is the right time and finding the joy in things that don't jeopardize my well being make me realize that I am now what I consider a grown up. Besides Aaliyah said it best age when she sang "Age ain't nothing but a thang".

From today forward I will do my best to focus only on improving and not base my success by comparing it to others. Along with this sexy and encouraging trainer I met recently I am looking to do just that. Together we have begun the process to improve my health. Not only is he fine as hell, he is also in love with being healthy and great at explaining how to do better day by day.  This is proof that the people we surround ourselves with can shape us

Training began today and I felt muscles I forgot about but as long as I get to look at that chocolate skin and body every time I'll be there!

Some things never change I guess but change does happen. Good or bad. Until next time loves you will have to wait to hear how the SexyChocolate sessions go.

To Be Continued.            





No comments:

Post a Comment