Monday, November 26, 2012

Is Marriage Still Important?



Whewww!! What a Thanksgiving break. Even with an entire week off from work, I still feel like I need a vacation after having such a hectic holiday break. With my return to the cyber world after neglecting my MacBook for almost ten days, I was greeted by a question from a male friend about marriage or more specifically, do women still consider marriage to be a priority? Of course the question is too broad and no one can possibly answer for all women but it did get my wheels turning considering I am knocking on thirty's door (which is the imaginary cut off date for single women)!

Marriage can be a beautiful union when both parties are fully committed to its success however, the value of being truly committed to one person seems non existent especially when significant others are seen and treated as disposable. I personally have not seen many successful or loving marriages growing up which may likely skew my opinion of it. It may not appeal to me at this current point in my life but of course like most people I would love to have the companionship and support that would come from a marrying a compatible partner but I am not foolish enough to believe that marriage can survive off of the love fumes alone

.  Depending on who you ask, the most significant part of marriage is the financial component of it. Simply put spouses get benefits that single people don't including health insurance and countless others. There may be some validity to this reasoning considering that the top reason for the dissolve of marriages are based on finances or like Kanye said "She ain't messing with no broke ni**a". Nothing can break a loving family apart quicker than having to endure the struggles of financial hardships.

As a single woman who has never been married, I am certainly not qualified to give advice on what makes a marriage work. But to answer his question, marriage it is not a top priority on my list of things to accomplish in life but that does not mean that I am against it. I have just become content with that if it is meant for me it will be.

Do you think that marriage is an important milestone?

.



No comments:

Post a Comment